E ducation: 1958-1963 Law School, University of Budapest, 1963 First State Exam for Degree in Law. M.A. 1964 University of Budapest. Diploma of Droit Comparé 1967 Strasbourg. Ph.D. “Sub auspiciis Rei Publicae” 1968 University of Budapest. 1968 Second State Exam for Degree in Law. Habilitation and venia legend 1976 for Hungarian Civil and Commercial Law, Private International Law (Law of Conflicts), Comparative Law.
Grants: Max Planck Society 1970, Inst. for Foreign and Int. Private Law, Hamburg. Humboldt Foundation 1977-1978 Institute for Foreign and International Private Law, University of Freiburg, Germany. Humboldt Foundation 1986, University of Heidelberg. Humboldt Foundation 1999, Institute for Foreign and International Private Law, Hamburg. Humboldt Foundation 2006, Institute for Foreign and International Private Law, Hamburg.
Teaching Appointments: Associate Professor, University of Budapest 1971. Full Professor of Law, University of Budapest 1977. Visiting Professor of Law, University of Heidelberg, Germany 1987.
Administrative Appointments: Head of the Department of Civil Law, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest 1979-1999. Rector (Vice-chancellor) of Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest 1990-1993. Rector of Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, 1992-1997. Head of the Governments Codification Committee for a New Hungarian Civil Code, 1999-2008.
Practical Activity: Judge at the Court of Arbitration attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce 1990-. Judge at the “Internationales Schiedsgericht der Wirtschaftskammer Österreich” and at the ICC Arbitration Court 1998.
Board Memberships: Ganz Ansaldo Comp. Ltd. 1991-2000. Director of the Board of the Hungarian-American Enterprise Fund 1999-2006. Scientific Advisory Board at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg 2009-.